October 5, 2009

homemade laundry detergent


Today I thought I'd share my laundry routine for my big family. First, I have to wash a minimum of twice a week, sometimes more. But I really try to limit that. I usually do between 10-12 loads of laundry on those days. I only do laundry on Mondays and Fridays, because I REFUSE to spend any of my weekend doing laundry. That's our family time and I don't want any interference with relaxing at home. I save money by making my own products. I also line dry when it's hot out, whenever possible. So, this is what I use.



Here is my kit that I start off with to make detergent.Borax, washing soda, liquid soap, funnel, measuring cup, reused detergent bottle...


everything set up and ready to go...



I melt all of my ingredients until they are liquid with boiling hot water. I melt 1/2 cup WS, 1/3 cup of borax, 1/2 cup of soap and you get this slime...



I then add the slime with two gallons of hot water to my reused bottle with a funnel. That's it!...


I don't buy dryer sheets, I use homemade wool balls. To make them, I took wool yarn and wound to make a ball, wash/dry several times to fuzz(great for static)...


The smell of bleach is irritating, so I use vinegar. I also use vinegar as a fabric softener in my downy ball.
Kindly Bookmark this Post using your Favorite Bookmarking Service.
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo Tweet

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Valencia,

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading this. That sounds like a simple way to make the detergent. I would like to try it. Love the wool ball idea.

Anonymous said...

I read this earlier this month, but seriously decided to start using homemade cleaners yesterday...I would love some of your advice if you would want to take the time...

Is this your favorite detergent recipe?, How many have you tried?, What brand did you formerly use?, and is it compatable to it?

I know a lot of questions, but this is a big step for me-I sort my socks from my clothes and wash seperatly! LOL, but there has came a time in our lives that we need to start saving money! I appreciate this post and any answers to my questions.

Love your blog BTW!
God Bless
Tessa

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

Anytime Cricket, always able to help a friend. I formally used all kinds of detergent. This is the best recipe for me. This way, it just drops right in my washer underneath it and I can reuse my old liquid detergent container. (Hey every second counts.) It saves so much money!! I've only had to replace my ingredients every 10 months to a year. As a side note, if you'd like a scent(I don't, bad allergies) add essential oils,lemon juice, etc...

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my questions...made the mixture last night, washed a load-didn't use your recipe, but I will be trying it next (trial and error).

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

You're welcome! And you can always tweak it to fit ur needs, I did...lol