April 5, 2011

sourdogh starter

I've been feeling my way through homemade and natural food products for my family. 
I've been baking bread using store bought yeast and with good results.
Then I saw a way to made bread using natural sourdough starter from Candy.
I'm so glad I found a better way to bake without using store bought yeast.
The bread taste so healthy and fresh!!

Don't use metal containers or spoons because it will interfere with the fermentation process.

Day 1:  Mix 1 cup flour and 1 cup water.
cover with a cloth, secure it and place in a warm area.

(I used a pickle jar and old scraps of fabric tided with twine)

(optional: add a few grapes to get the natural yeast from the skin)


Day 2-7: Mix in 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water each day
recover with a cloth, secure it and place in a warm area.

(see how the bubbles have formed. that's what you want)
(if you see mold, throw it out and start over!!!!)

Day 8: Remove grapes, make your bread dough
Place remainder in fridge.

Feed your starter once a week with 1/2 cup of water and flour to keep it living.
A brownish juice will form called hooch, just mix it back in or pour it out. 
Every two weeks clean starter container, then return starter back in.
When done correctly, your starter can live forever!!
The best part is, you can pass it down to your children.






Kindly Bookmark this Post using your Favorite Bookmarking Service.
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo Tweet

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I came across this post from Raising Homemakers and am so excited! I have been wanting to make sourdough starter, but wasn't sure of the best way to begin. Can't wait to try this! Thank you for blessing me :)

Mar'ah said...

Thank you SO much for posting this! I am excited to try this! I love to make bread, but I do not like artificially adding yeast. You are one wise woman!