January 22, 2012

DIY hemmed jeans

You may or may not can tell this, but I'm a shortie! Yes I'm only 5'2-5'3 or something of that nature. Really, when it under 5'5 does the exact measurement really matter anymore...lol But bringing it back on topic, store bought pants rarely ever fit my height. I usually end up with ruined hems where I've stepped on them constantly, especially when it rains. So, instead of paying for a tailor or dry cleaner to hem them, I got to work on researching how I could possibly do it. And I found several vids, pics and articles on how to do it for free at home. Cuz free is so me!! 

original length, I was stepping on them...

 
Step 1: Fold and measure.
Pin and try on to make sure the length works before you sew. 
(This I didn't do and had to resew one leg.)


I sewn the top and cut off 2 inches
Fold down and you're done

All done and a perfect fit for me!

I found doing it this way is perfect for people who don't sew very. You can also use a sewing machine or hand sew, like I did. Because you keep the professional finished hem, you can't tell where your hem is. And best of all it is free!

Homemaker on a Dime 
CraftOManiac 
Making the World Cuter 
Keeping it Simple
Just Something I Whipped Up
Kindly Bookmark this Post using your Favorite Bookmarking Service.
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo Tweet

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found some little things at walmart that you stick on the inside of jeans,then you fold up,snap,that away if you wear boots you can unsnap and wear boots, if you wear flats you can snap and it makes them shorter :)

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

I've seen those and they work great, but I like the pro hem look for me. I do allow some length for heels bc I don't wear flat unless with shorts or dresses/skirts. thank you for thinking of me though(smile)

Tammie said...

Such perfect timing! I just was asking a friend this weekend if you can hem jeans because I too am only 5'2" and nothing ever fits! Thanks for posting this!

Kate @ craftwhatever said...

OK. That's it...I have to do this! You definitely made it look easy and I have been walking around with my pants all cuffed up for a few months now. It's time! Thanks for sharing this!