January 23, 2012

No Yeast Bread

I was in my facebook group Buildeth Her House and some ladies were posting about baking bread. I wanted to bake some soooo bad, but I had no yeast. I didn't want to wait days to ferment some natural bread either. I do have some Amish friendship bread on day 3, but not white bread. Then Debbie posted a link for No Yeast Bread. I baked some and about an hour later I had fresh bread!

Preheat oven 400 degrees
Ingredients:
4 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups water
2 tsp vinegar (cider or white)

Combine dry ingredients, then mix in wet ingredients. Turn dough onto floured surface and kneed for 3 minutes, no need to over do it. Shape in round 11/2-2 inch sphere. Dip a knife in flour and cut and X in the top. Bake for 40 minutes and glaze with butter while hot.

all ingredients mixed into a dough

placed on floured pan with X carved in the top

All done! Buttered and ready to serve...






Hearth & Soul Hop     

A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home
Kindly Bookmark this Post using your Favorite Bookmarking Service.
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo Tweet

4 comments:

Daisha said...

Looks good! How did it turn out for your first batch? I wonder if you could back it in a loaf pan or does it have to be baked as is?

Jessica said...

That looks good! I'll have to remember that when I run out of yeast!

Finding Joy said...

This is called damper in Australia! Made by the bushman on their camp fires. Sometimes they would wrap the dough around a stick and cook it that way as it is quicker. Damper doesn't contain any vinegar. It is best eaten straight out of the oven hot. I would eat it with a thick layer of butter and Vegemite! Smells so good.

Alea Milham said...

I can't wait to use your recipe as a base to experiment with making a gluten-free version. I am so excited about this because I am trying to cut back on yeast with both of my boys. Thanks for shairng this with the HnS Hop.