March 14, 2009

Proverbs 22:6

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

I am a firm believer that children learn what they see. So in order for me to teach my children to work hard, love the Lord, show charity, be honest etc. I have to lead by example. I know that it is very important for my children to see an example other than what the world will show them. We as mothers have to combat with the world during our child raising years. They are exposed to so much that contradicts what the Word of God teaches, that we are the front lines to train our babies otherwise.

Not only are we suppose to train them in the Word, but also in the workings of running a home. We let the kids help out as much as possible with us, so that they can learn how it's done. We all have chores in my home. I assign chores so that each child can be held personally responsible for their own piece in keeping the family on schedule. I feel that everyone is very important and has something to contribute toward helping build our family.

My children's chore chart:
Maranda-kitchen
Meocha-big bathroom/foyer
Destiny-dinning room
Haven-living room/stairs
Devin-wash/mud rooms

Of course Michael and I have chores too, but we can remember ours so we don't post them on the chart. The babies don't have chores as of yet, other than looking adorable! But someday they will join us and take pride in doing their part to help our family run smooth.

Prayer and family bible study helps teach our children morals and values of Christ. I know that the love of the Lord has really helped my children have a sense of gratitude toward our family. We teach them that Christ wants us to be helpful and spread good will. So what better place to start than at home. We teach them to put their hearts into their homes. And to take care of the things that God has blessed them with. We are by no means wealthy, but the love that we have as a family makes us the wealthiest family on earth.

I always put my family before any other commitment. I will do whatever it takes to make my home a place where my husband and children can come home and seek refuge from whatever the world may throw at them. By doing these things, I'm accepting my role that God has assigned for me. And at the same time leading by example for my children.

She looketh well to the ways of her household,and eateth not the bread of idleness
Proverbs 31:21


It can become a daunting task to teach little ones how to manage a home. It would go so much faster and smother if you did it yourself. But God's word is clear on training children toward His glory in this world. He commands us to be steadfast in creating the next generations of Christians. This is important in the ministry as well. I take a stand on teaching my babies to love God with all their little hearts. This is our legacy that we pass on to them to take with them forever.

The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, Titus 3-4

Here are a few pictures of my little homemakers and helpers:

come and get it....





teaching bar b que basics....





little hands hard at work washing dishes....





singing "clean up, clean up, everybody do your share"....

Kindly Bookmark this Post using your Favorite Bookmarking Service.
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo Tweet

3 comments:

Joyce said...

You are so right. It's hard work teaching our kids to help with the family's work, but it's right, and it's for the children's ultimate good, too.

I enjoy your blog.

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

Thanks so much Joyce. You're so right, but I do try to let them know that they are doing their part in keeping the home.

Jill said...

Your kids are so cute! It is so important to let them help when they want to. The desire fades soon enough ;)