September 29, 2009

Baptisms

I have experienced different types of baptisms in my Christian walk such as; baptism of water, holy spirit, and fire. I felt lead to tell my personal story with each of these.

Water baptism is the act of symbolically being cleansed in water of our sins or dying with Christ to our life of sin and being reborn anew. This is done as a show of faith for people who want to take a vow of a new life in Him. But after having experienced this myself, I can say that there is an element of a deep spiritual change that can result in the process. I felt as if my eyes were opened for the first time and all of my senses were heightened. I was so overwhelmed that I just cried. It was truly a beautiful experience for me and for my husband. We decided to both get water baptized after our wedding ceremony and we both felt a deeper connection, not just with each other, but with our Lord. It was our way of symbolically walking in our new life together vowing to erase our past single lives.

And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. Acts 22:16




Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a movement of the spirit of God over a person. In my opinion, this is the most important of all three baptisms. It feels as if love has just completely enveloped my body. I experience a very intense spiritual connection with God during this time and I'm overwhelmed with peace. I personally speak in tongues during these times, but I can't say that this is the only evidence of baptism of the Holy Spirit, only God can clarify that in each person's life. For me, this is extremely personal and it brings out a wide range of emotions. I always feel so renewed after spending time close to Him that created me, in a deep spiritual embrace.

When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. Acts 21-4



Baptism of the fire is meant to purify you of any impurities by tribulations, trials and persecutions. This is very difficult for me to endure but I know that it is for my good. One example my pastor gave is that when he was new to Christianity he was on the job that wouldn't pay him. He threatened the people and they paid him but he prayed to God why he was being tested. God revealed to him, that this was to show him that he still had violence and rage in him. I try to remember that when I'm in a very difficult situation. I ask myself, am I harboring bitterness, rage, back biting, gossip, etc...

I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire." (Matthew 3:11)

Kindly Bookmark this Post using your Favorite Bookmarking Service.
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo Tweet

2 comments:

Tea said...

Thank you for sharing this. I have never heard anyone talk about what being baptized with fire means before. I have always wondered about it and what you've said makes so much sense. Thank you!

Also, I love your blog and plan to follow along and visit often! :)
Tea

Anonymous said...

I have experienced all three. I also still go through the fire alot. But I can't imagine not experiencing tongues. It has taken me to new heights in my relationship with God.

Thanks for sharing.