April 1, 2009

Repurpose/Reuse

I've been spring cleaning at my home and I've really having a great time. (gasp) How can anyone have a great time deep cleaning their home you ask? We'll I've decided to reuse and re purpose what I have. Spring cleaning is one of the two times a year that I "really" clean everything in my home. I move, clean out, and under things that I normally wouldn't. And in the process I've found so many lost treasures.



My children were thrilled when I found a lost doll or toy, they haven't seen in ages. The kids really enjoyed finding toys and clothes that had been packed away during winter that were put up until warmer weather. They felt like it was their birthday again. I even found clothes that had been buried in the back of my closet that they haven't worn in months. I'm re purposing some jeans too short into capris with fabric trim. I'm also adding ribbons, beads, etc, to my daughters shirts and shorts. They are so excited to get "new to them" outfits. I've sewn together ripped stuffed animals and favs for them too. Good as new.

I even redecorated my littlest girls room. I repositioned their beds to a different angle. I washed stuffed animals and positioned them on display. Cleaned their rocking horse and made a couch from an old crib by losing one side and covering the mattress with an old blanket and using a dust ruffle. I hung some found fabric for new curtains. I switched sheets and comforters, hung up some found art and accessories..presto, new bedroom. They were so excited!




I discovered pictures frames, fabric, shoes, purses, bags, etc... It was like shopping my own closet. I put together so many new outfits to wear that it's new to me all over again. I cut up old torn clothing to use as fabric to embellish other outfits. I cut up old cotton shirts to make cleaning rags for the house. We really had a great time and saved money and got "new" stuff too! My home is clean plus, the kids really enjoyed spending time doing a family project.
Kindly Bookmark this Post using your Favorite Bookmarking Service.
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo Tweet

7 comments:

Tracey said...

I, too, have been doing some spring cleaning and love how the house looks and feels when I'm done. Now, if only I knew the secret to keeping it that way!!

Beth in NC said...

Oh girl, I need to be following your example (hiding face in shame). Sigh! I'm glad you're getting it done.

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

If anyone finds the secret to keeping it that way let me know..lol!

Rina said...

what a great way to spring clean!

daniele @ domestic serenity said...

I've been doing some of the same too...it's such a great feeling to have it all clean. Though it will only stay this way for a while, lol!

Jill said...

Sadly, I lack in this area. I feel good if I get the regular stuff done, vacumming and dishes...

You have inspired me. I must get to work!

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

You Go Girl! lol once it's done..I promise you you will feel so great having a clean fresh home. Having a place for everything really has helped keep down chaos.