June 13, 2009

Life-like dolls

These lifelike babies are popping up all over the world in a new phenomenon. These babies are so life-like and they can even come with a heartbeat. They feel like real babies with velvety, vinyl skin and hair individually threaded. When I saw them I thought they were real babies. The women who care for them, take them out for strolls in the park, buy them clothes, strap them in car seats, and even have nurseries for them. Here are a few comments that were taken from various website interviews.

Reborns, she said, “never grow out of their clothes, never soil them. It's just fabulous. The only difference, of course, is these guys don't move.”

she wanted a real baby, but was too busy to commit to caring for a real one. A reborn doll satisfies her maternal instincts, she said, without all the carrying on and mess.

They cost from 1,000-4,000 dollars. Custom made, from photos, are even more expensive. They have a heartbeat option as well. Love or hate them, they have become a huge sensation all over the world. Selling in the thousands each year. I don't own one and probably never will, but they are adorable! Do you feel this is harmless or a deep psychological issue?

Here are a few pictures of "babies" for "adoption".








Kindly Bookmark this Post using your Favorite Bookmarking Service.
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo Tweet

6 comments:

Divamom said...

Those are adorable and very life-like. I don't think I'd pay that much for one, though. I might as well adopt a real baby from the state and let them pay me! lol

Donalacasa said...

I'm sorry. Does anyone beside me think they're creepy? LOL!

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

lol @ creepy!! Some women give these "babies" birthday parties and have nurseries for them, that's way too creepy...But other than that it's just a doll. I'd rather adopt a real baby and give a child a home, but that's just me!!

atelierlemlem said...

Well, overhere in Europe these 'babies' are not in the shops.. And I find this dolls look a bit strange, scary! And those poor people (only woman are buying these?) are in big need of help I think! Maybe they should get themself some voluntairy work in order to give love to other people?

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

Very well said! I feel that way as well. If they're showing real emotions and attachments to a doll, then channel that love toward a living human. A real child or person can atleast return some affection and fill whatever void they may have.

Michelle said...

I know this post is loooong over, but I just have to comment (big grin), lol.

I LOVE the dolls...but I think there is something wrong with these women or men who are treating them like they are real! It seems almost like idol worship to me...and in the very least I think it does indicate something psychologically is off. I say that NOT because of them playing with the dolls, but because they have the NEED to play with the dolls. Very, VERY weird, IMO.

I love this post! It's very interesting that many have said the same thing though. Why not adopt "real" children who truly need that love and attention. Why waste your money, time and love on plastic (or whatever the doll is made of) that lacks a soul and cannot return their love?

Very interesting.