April 22, 2010

Unschooling?



I've never heard of this! I do give my children every opportunity to learn outside of what they are taught. Any area of interest and I buy books, teach and add to what they learn in school already. My children have chores and structure and it is what works best for our family. Honestly, I raise my children according to God's word.

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6


I know I wouldn't allow my kids to run my home with whatever they wanted, especially the family who are lenient on hygiene.....ewe. My son would never bathe...lol But whatever works for you, I guess. I tend to live and let live.
Kindly Bookmark this Post using your Favorite Bookmarking Service.
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo Tweet

5 comments:

Tammy said...

I would never do unschooling. It is my belief that God wants us to teach our children that is teaching not allowing them to teach themselves. How can we expect our children to be productive Christian young men and women if we don't teach them. Just my opinion on this matter but I just don't see how this can really work in the long run.

Mary Ellen said...

I first heard of unschooling through Jan Hunt's The Natural Child. We're not unschoolers (or even homeschoolers!) but there are aspects I find interesting.

Anonymous said...

I am going to be gracious and watch my sayings.

After watching that video all I can say is WHAT!!!!!!

I mean I am sorry I just don't find it in line with God's word.

I believe in letting your child have interest and have hobbies and helping them develop those. But to have free reign, do whatever, choose whatever, no discipline at all is against the VERY WORD OF GOD.

Thanks for sharing. Just my opinion.

Salena said...

What a great blog you have!

We don't unschool, but like you I encourage anything creative and wholesome that they are interested in.

As for hygiene, my boys would be beyond nasty if left to themselves! LOL

Amy said...

wow, that is kind of angering and frusterating. We homeschool and have rules, set times of doing things, we expose our children to all kinds of healthy activity and honestly I believe this gives homeschooling a bad name. Why don't they ever report on the succeses of homeschooling? So frusterating. I'm sure this is going to push some states into even more tightening of the laws for homeschooling making it hard and more difficult for the parent and teacher of the homeschool.

This is so sad. Thanks for posting though!!

Have a blessed day!