July 11, 2011

Mental Illness



This was put into my spirit last night and I have to post what the Holy Spirit of God asks. There are literally millions of people in this world who suffer in silence from mental illness. Still there are thousands more who will not acknowledge that they need help and seek the proper treatment. First let me assure you that it is nothing to be ashamed of and that you are definitely not alone in your suffering. This, like anything else can be managed with help from all sorts of treatment, some not including medication. God did not create you to suffer alone in the darkness. He created you a victor and not a victim! There is power in Christ and seeking His comfort for any issues including depression, paranoia, bipolar, etc... He will lead you toward the right treatment. God is not one to leave us nor forsake us as His children. He wants you to live the life that He has planned for you. Your steps are ordered and if you accept His love and help, you will ALWAYS be guided by His glory towards the best plan of action for your life.

 I know how difficult it can be to accept help, especially when you're a man. You tend the think that it is considered weak to need help, no matter how small. I applaud any man strong enough to take a leap of faith and ask God for direction with his trials and tribulation.  This is a very personal post for me, because my son was diagnosed with ADHD two years ago. He's now on medication and doing great! It has been a whirlwind of emotions and changes to adjust to his behavior. But I'm happy to announce he has been living well for over six months now. My own husband has had to battle a bout of depression and needed medication and now lives a full life walking toward his destiny without it. We were able to get him back on the righteous path that God has for him and he's no longer on medication or needing any further counseling. Your story may be different and you may need more or less to get your life back, but one thing is for certain.....ALL THINGS WORK FOR THE GOOD FOR THOSE WHO LOVE THE LORD!!!!!

Mental Illness can affect anyone, and celebrities are no exception:

Jim Carey - Depression
Michael Phelps - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Jean Claude Van Damme - Bipoar Disorder
Catherine Zeta Jones - Bipolar II Disorder
Brooke Shields - Post Partum Depression
John Nash(Nobel Prize Winner 1994) - Paranoid Schizophrenia
Carrie Fisher(Princess Leia, Star Wars) - Bipolar Disorder
Emma Thompson - Clinical Depression
Herschel Walker(NFL) - Dissociative Identity Disorder
Paula Deen - Agoraphobia
Margot Kidder(Lois Lane) - Manic Depression and Paranoia
Sherly Crow - Depression
Richard Dreyfuss - Bipolar Disorder
Peter Green(Fleetwood Mac) - Schizophrenia
Astronaut Buzz Aldrin  - Depression
Trent Reznor(Nine Inch Nails) - Social Anxiety Disorder
Anthony Hopkins - Depression
Janet Jackson - Clinical Depression

DDT 
WLW
Kindly Bookmark this Post using your Favorite Bookmarking Service.
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo Tweet

7 comments:

Unknown said...

As a Christian suffering from Major Depression Disorder and Stress Anxiety Disorder I just wanted to add that there are cases for lifetime medication.
I'm blessed that when I fell apart my husband was there to call an ambulance. After being committed doctors were finally able to get me on the right amount and combination of medications that saved my life.
I'm now a much happier person who's faith was only made stronger from my experience.

Anonymous said...

I suffer from depression, I was diagnosed after my Great Aunt Passed...

Erin said...

What a beautiful blog. I've really enjoy looking around at everything you have on here. I'm a Christian mother of 6 so I appreciate your journey!
Blessings,
Erin
http://mynuggetsoftruth.blogspot.com/

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

I am sooo glad to hear that you are doing well Rona. And you are right, as I stated in my post, your story may be different. I hope you will continue to work you are doing putting light on depression.

Renee I had no idea. I hope you find your right path toward balance. You are a great sister in Christ and I know you will be a victor and not a victim.

Thanks for your words of wisdom Erin. I will be right over for a visit!!

Far Above Rubies said...

Valencia, thank you for sharing this post. Many women will be encouraged to sense no judgement here.

Blessings,
Jasmine

MOMSWEB said...

I just viewed a website yesterday on Mental Illness that a friend of mine created. www.blackmentalhealth.net

Bless you for your obedience. This isn't shared enough.

Shannon said...

Thank you for this post. Women dealing with mental illness in themselves or family members are suffering. The enemy is telling them that they are alone. The church is telling them...just be more submissive, obedient....etc...and God will bless you. And the enemy continues to confuse them, as they sink deeper into isolation. Awareness is very important so they can see the truth about their situation and deal with it appropriately...with the Lord's help, of coarse. Blessings.