May 26, 2009

Modesty of the Heart



After spending some time in dresses for seven days, view here . I can honestly say I felt so soft, elegant, and feminine that week. It continues to amaze me just how much more comfortable I felt wearing what is natural for a woman. My skirts actually altered my attitude and mannerism. I went to the Lord in prayer concerning modesty. What the Holy Spirit whispered into my soul was that modesty starts with your heart, not necessarily with your wardrobe. I have been thinking more on this idea of heart modesty. It starts with a change in the spirit man, which ultimately transforms the outer man.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Romans 12:2


What you wear is a personal thing between you and the Lord. He deals with us individually. Listen to the spirit and he will guide you to how you need to dress. For one person, that may be all skirts and dresses, while others that may be modest pants and shirts. Still for others it may be a combination of both. Dresses are just a beautiful, feminine clothing made just for ladies. It's not as important "what" you wear as it is "why" you wear your clothes. God deals with us where we are in our walk with him. He never puts more on us than we can bare. So if you feel it in your heart to dress a certain way, He has already known before you did that you can handle it. It may take some time to adjust and even throw out or donate some questionable items, but He has faith in you.

In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
1 Timothy 2:9-10


Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.
1 Peter 3:3


I'm in the process of purging some items that are no longer "me" anymore. They have been in my closet for some time and are just taking up space. Some clothes are sloppy, ill fitted, too small/big, not modest etc... My husband really appreciates the extra effort I'm taking to look like a lady everyday for him. I'm working to let my outer appearance be a reflection of the changes that are occurring on the inside. I want to feel feminine and elegant when I get dressed. I want my clothes to glorify Jesus, not attract attention, even if that's not what my intention is.

Let not then your good be evil spoken of
Romans 14:16

The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.
Matthew 12:25




We should ask ourselves before we get dressed each day. Does my appearance bring glory and honour to God? Is this a reflection of the spirit that's on the inside of me? This will help determine what clothing you should wear. Remember that we are beautiful just because we are daughters of the most high God. And the most important clothing is the armour of God.


Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
Ephesians 6:13-18
Kindly Bookmark this Post using your Favorite Bookmarking Service.
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo Tweet

4 comments:

atelierlemlem said...

Hi! I am happy for you feeling more happy with the dressing in skirts and dresses, they look lovely and modest on you! As I am not so thin, I rather love dressed in skirts, as it feels kind of 'free' to me. Like I can be myself.. Do your daughters like dresses to wear? My oldest is 15 and wears a skirt twice a year.. I hope that she wil change. At this age she wants to be 'normal' and that means a pair of jeans, a sweatshirt,tshirt and sportshoes..

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

It going to take some time but I hope they will be more lady like and feel at ease in dresses.

Donalacasa said...

I love the picture at the top of this post. Girlfriend had her corset going ON! LOL! I also loved the cursor being a rose. I'm going to have to study how to do that.

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

It is great to see another sister interested in modesty! I am sure He will bring you along the path, and you look great in your skirts, not at all "frumpy" or anything. Blessings!
A mom to soon-to-be 6