June 8, 2009

Respect in the home

(This is a repost, but was relevant to this weeks discussion.)

Why is it so easy to show respect to total strangers, than to the ones closest to us? Have you ever noticed how you can overlook an offense of a stranger that offends you. But if your husband offends you, you get upset and sometimes have something to say about it. Or vice versa. I am guilty of this. Husbands are not immune to doing this same thing. They can hold their anger with, co-workers, bosses, and friends, but then if their wife offends them, they get upset. When asked, many will tell you; "Well, I'll lose my job if I yell or get angry with a co-worker or boss." Do you ever realized that you could lose your marriage by this type of behavior. Or in the very least cause hurt and damage your relationship. So, the latter is so much more important, than the first. It should actually be the most important. Some may say, "I don't know them, I can't just go off on people I don't know." Does it seem fair then to "go off" on people you love?? Should a complete stranger get to have more consideration than someone who loves you and that you vowed to spend the rest of your life with. Sounds strange doesn't it. Let's work on not approaching our loved ones with every little offense. Let's decide that our marriages are the most important relationship that we have. So, we need to put our best foot forward, when dealing with our marriages.




Pleasant words are a honeycomb,sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
Proverbs 16:24


Remember when we were dating, and we never wanted our future husband to see us not looking our best. Why now do we feel it's okay to not look like the woman who cared how he saw us. And this is for husbands as well. But we will care how we look when we go to work, or over a friends home, or out for brunch. How others see you is just a form of respect. You wouldn't want anyone thinking you're a slob or just don't care about how you look, so why not have that same respect toward your life partner. Our spouses opinion of us should be the most important one. I too, can throw on jogging pants all day, or keep my big tee shirt and leggings on..lol But I'm staring to see that this is not how I want anyone else to see me. So, I'm learning to let my husband see me looking fresh too. I'm not saying dress up and be fully ready for a day out, or you can if you'd like, whatever makes "you" feel pretty. But take some time daily to make sure you look and feel your best for each other.




The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife.
1 Corinthians 7:3-4
Kindly Bookmark this Post using your Favorite Bookmarking Service.
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo Tweet

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

This is so true. We have made it a habit to clean up and tidy up ourselves and the house about a 1/2 before daddy gets home. He very much appreciates it too! I refresh my hair, clothes, makeup, spray a little perfume and greet at the door like he is a superstar!

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

Respect goes a long way in a marriage. It can make both parties feel so special, when you treat them above how you treat everyone else.

::Traci:: said...

This is a great post and reminder! Thanks for sharing ..

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Hello Valencia,

I'm Laura. I found you At the Well. We commented on a post together.

This is the third thing I've read today about respecting my husband. You're braver than I am about putting it on your blog! ~smile~

I think Father God is trying to tell me something!

Thanks for sharing. It's good to meet you. I invite you to come for a visit.

Laura

Joyfull said...

Truly our marriages are the most important relationship we have and our special men deserve our best. Great post and beautiful reminder.

annies home said...

understand exactly where you are coming from in this terrific post

A Faithful Journey said...

Praying for God's richest blessings on your marriage!
Stopping by from the "Completing Him Challenge!"